Thursday, April 08, 2010

The Inherent Narcissism of Software Architects

I am Mark, and I'm a software architect.

[Hi, Mark]

Software Architects think that our ideas of design and architecture are important (otherwise, we probably wouldn't do what we do), and often, we allow our personal passions and convictions rule our designs, rather than have principles of good design guide us to our convictions. When we stop questioning and revalidating our mental code base, we start hurtling down the path of irrelevance.

I've noticed that I, like many of by brethren/sistren, tend to prattle on at times about various things that I feel are best practices and requirements for a good software design and development mind. Mostly, they're things that other people have said before, but occasionally, I come up with something interesting all on my own. In the interest of re-use and posterity, I thought I would capture some of these thoughts, along with my inimitable charm and wit, here, primarily so that when I move from project to project and team to team, I can refer folks to this weblog.

So, if you're interested in what I've thought about various issues in the past and present (which, for the purposes of this medium is just a more recent past), feel free to follow along. I have gained in my 13 years of software development experience a very zen approach to software development that sometimes gets me into trouble in a debate - I will often say that something just doesn't look or feel right about a particular set of code, but, I wouldn't have been in this business this long if my nose wasn't right more often than not. I love what I do - and the people I get to work with solving the kinds of problems we get to solve are the main reason why.

So, onward into the sphere o' weblog...